Dartmoor Nordic Walking
Nordic Walking combines the simplicity and accessibility of walking with simultaneous core and upper body conditioning, similar to Nordic Skiing. Dartmoor provides the perfect environment to enjoy this fitness activity and, since 2014, I have been offering regular group or individual walks, for all abilities, from a variety of locations within the National Park.
If you are looking to improve your fitness and increase your exercise levels, or just enjoy opportunities to meet new friends whilst spending time in the outdoors, then please come and join us. You can view and book upcoming walks, and find information on preparing for and joining walks, on this site. Alternatively, don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
See the Technique in Action
Nordic Walking uses specially designed poles to help enhance your natural walking, by planting the poles behind you to propel you forward – unlike Trekking where your poles are generally in front of you, being used primarily for balance. The result is a full-body work out and, because it doesn’t feel like hard work, you will be happy to walk further for longer.
The many benefits include:
- relief of pain in joints from arthritis or joint replacements
- help with breathing related conditions, such as COPD and asthma
- improvement in mental health through the combination of exercise and time outdoors.
- burning up to 46% more calories
- release of tension in the neck and shoulders
- improvement in posture and gait
- strengthening of your back and abdominals
- reduced impact on the joints